- The Cocktail Hour
- Cocktail Hour: Josh Cohen Meets With Adam Lipson To Discuss Music, Travel And Eating Vegan
Cocktail Hour: Josh Cohen Meets With Adam Lipson To Discuss Music, Travel And Eating Vegan
WHO: Music curator, brand ambassador, vegan advocate and DJ, Adam Lipson
WHAT: The Bee's Knees cocktail, paired with the vegetable edamame succotash risotto, the grilled vegetable lasagna with sautéed spinach and a red pepper coulis sauce, and the vegetable tagine with tomato-chickpea ragout and cumin oil.
WHERE: Galley at Hilton West Palm Beach, 600 Okeechobee Blvd., West Palm Beach / 561.231.6000 / hiltonwestpalmbeach.com
1) The biggest misconception people have about being a DJ is: that it's all fun and games. As much as I love it, it's still a job. I have to be on-point for every show, every moment. No two shows are ever the same. What differentiates me is that there isn't a classification for my music. I constantly adjust my set to the crowd and to the moment. I cater to the vibe of the moment.
2) The biggest difference between living in Palm Beach during season, and then spending summers playing the Hamptons is: that I get to meet a lot of new people when I'm in the Hamptons. I've been in Palm Beach since 1999, so when I'm working in the Hamptons I'm always meeting new people. That's one of my favorite things in life. I love to make new friends and explore new vegan restaurants.
3) People riding in my car would be shocked to learn that I play: absolutely nothing that I play while I DJ. In the car it's a lot of Beatles, The Black Keys and classic rock as a whole. But when I'm leaving a gig and heading home I love to drive to the sound of dead silence.
4) Of all the shows, private parties and events I've played in my career, the one I'll never forget is: the Everglades Foundation event at The Breakers where I opened for Dave Matthews [Band]. But that wasn't even the highlight for me. The highlight was being introduced to my childhood idol, surfing champion Kelly Slater. It was a very cool moment for me.
5) For me, becoming a vegetarian at age 10, and then 23 years later becoming a vegan was: something that I wanted to do all on my own. It just didn't feel right to eat animals. But I still felt like I was being a hypocrite, and that I needed to take the next step and become vegan. It's my lifestyle—it's vegan, yoga, healthy, spirituality and karma.
6) Each year when I return to Israel I'm reminded of: how important it is for me to go to the motherland every year and recharge my soul at the end of a busy season in Palm Beach and summer in the Hamptons. When I'm in Israel for the month of September, the month of the High Holy Days, I visit my grandmother, a Holocaust survivor, and it reminds me of how lucky we are that she escaped Poland. I wouldn't even be here today if she hadn't. I made a promise to myself to return each year and be reminded of my roots.
An avid surfer and bicyclist, Adam Lipson can often be spotted around Palm Beach riding on one of his two restored vintage motorcycles. Having played engagements ranging from multi-million dollar weddings at The Breakers, to countless charity and society events in venues such as the Mar-a-Lago Club, Lipson successfully expanded his brand in recent years from Palm Beach and Miami to high-profile engagements in New York, Las Vegas and cities throughout Europe. A passionate advocate of the vegan lifestyle, Lipson currently resides in the Northwood Shores neighborhood of West Palm Beach.
ABOUT THE COCKTAIL:
The Bee's Knees
1.5 oz. Bulleit Green Label Rye
0.5 oz. Amaretto
2 dashes bitters
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. sugar
2 slices apple
Muddle one apple slice, sugar, bitters and lemon juice. Fill with ingredients, shake, then strain over ice sphere. Garnish with apple slice.
An avid surfer and bicyclist, Adam Lipson can often be spotted around Palm Beach riding on one of his two restored vintage motorcycles. Having played engagements ranging from multi-million dollar weddings at The Breakers, to countless charity and society events in venues such as the Mar-a-Lago Club, Lipson successfully expanded his brand in recent years from Palm Beach and Miami to high-profile engagements in New York, Las Vegas and cities throughout Europe.