The Cocktail Hour
Ryan Beckett Sits Down To Discuss Reality TV, Animal Rights And More
WHO: Reality TV star of ABC’s “The Bachelorette” and “Bachelor In Paradise,” entrepreneur and activist Ryan Beckett.
WHAT: Aperol Spritz cocktail paired with the Charcuterie Bar of speck (smoked prosciutto), mortadella, prosciutto di Parma, Gorgonzola dolce, Parmesan reggiano, Cerignola olives, roasted, marinated red peppers and marinated artichoke; the signature Pepperoni Pizza of thick-cut pepperoni, aged provolone and mozzarella; and the Sicilian Cassata Cake of sponge cake, cannoli cream, almonds and dried fruit.
WHERE: Sorrisi at Seminole Casino Coconut Creek, 5550 NW 40th St., Coconut Creek / 954.585.5379 / seminolecoconutcreekcasino.com/sorrisi.htm
1. The truth about how I was cast on “The Bachelorette” is: that I received a phone call from a casting agent years before I actually did the show. Someone in their scouting department had found me, and I was originally supposed to be on the show six or seven years earlier, but I bailed on it. But by the time season 11 came around I was single, I was six years older, and I had come to truly believe that we regret the things in life that we don’t do. I love self-deprecation and the idea of stepping outside of your own comfort zone, so I eventually decided to do the show.
2. What most people don’t realize about filming “The Bachelorette” or “Bachelor In Paradise” is: that it’s much more real than they think it is. There’s a lot of production value, and “leading the horses to water,” but it’s actually very real. The producers are making a TV show, and they’re poking the bears any way they can, but everything we are saying on camera is real.
3. The most memorable encounter I’ve had with a fan is: a private message I recently received from a woman inspired by my work with animal rescue. She was motivated to travel to Houston and volunteer in the post-Hurricane Harvey animal rescue efforts. The best interactions with fans are always reflective of my personality and my desire to help others.
4. I didn’t fully realize the power and popularity of these TV shows until: years after I had done them, as I still get asked and invited to do things as a result, including this interview right now.
5. Something that most people would never guess about me is: just how incredibly nerdy I actually am. I have a major fear of aliens. Not science-fiction-movie-depicted monster aliens, but actual space aliens. The TV show “Unsolved Mysteries” really freaked me out as a kid.
6. Of all the charitable, philanthropic and humanitarian causes I’m involved in, the one nearest to my heart is: a cause I’m headed to Africa next month to fight for; a counter-poaching campaign to battle against the illegal and inhumane ivory trade in Mozambique. These rhinos and elephants are forgotten animals, they’re being brutalized, and they’re on the verge of extinction. We will undergo South African military training to counter the trade.
A native of Boca Raton, Ryan Beckett starred in season 11 of ABC’s “The Bachelorette,” as well as the third season of the network’s spin-off series “Bachelor In Paradise.” Currently earning a doctorate in business from Rollins College in Winter Park, Beckett operates a real estate brokerage based in Wellington, specializing in equestrian properties. As an ambassador of the charitable foundation SHUZZ, Beckett actively serves in the mission to provide protective footwear to children in need globally. He will serve as the master of ceremonies for the annual SHUZZ | ART | FASHION | show fundraising event on March 15 at Seminole Casino Coconut Creek. Beckett is the founder of “The Beckett List,” a global social movement encouraging people worldwide to fulfill their own “bucket-list” wishes. He currently resides in West Palm Beach.
About The Cocktail:
The Aperol Spritz
3 ounces Aperol aperitif
6 ounces Salatin prosecco
1 ounce soda water
Serve over ice in highball glass, garnish with orange peel. Enjoy!