Songwriter Taylor Norris Chats Life In The Music Industry With Josh Cohen At Frigate's Waterfront
WHO: Songwriter and country music artist Taylor Norris
WHAT: Frigate’s Moscow Mule paired with the Lamb Chop Lollipops, the New Orleans Jambalaya, the Cuban Avocado Salad and the famous Zeppole dessert
WHERE: Frigate’s Waterfront Bar & Grill / 400 US Highway 1, North Palm Beach / 561.855.7497 / frigatesnpb.com / @FrigatesNPB
1) The moment I first knew that I wanted to sing for a living was: my very first performance in the fifth grade talent show at school. I sang “Try Again” by Aaliyah. When I auditioned, my teacher said, “Get it Taylor!” That’s when I knew this was what I wanted to do with my life.
2) The very first song that I ever wrote was: at the age of 15. I wrote it with a friend of mine named Hermes and a friend of his who was in a rock band. We took material from my diary and used it as inspiration. It was about a boy. It’s almost always about a boy.
3) I decided to go to law school and become admitted to The Florida Bar: to buy me more time to figure out how to go about my music career. I knew that if I got a job it would take up all of my time, but law school would buy me time to work on my music. Plus my dad is a lawyer, so that helped.
4) Of all genres of music, the single greatest song of all time is: “Shameless” by Garth Brooks—all of it. The lyrics, the melody, it’s just fun to sing along to. He’s such an emotional singer. It fits so many emotions that you might be feeling at the time.
5) The one artist in all of music I’d likely be too star-struck to actually perform with is: a tie between Carrie Underwood and Martina McBride. I’d probably be speechless. I admire them both so much—their careers, their class and their professionalism. They’ve been able to keep their public and personal lives separate, and somehow maintain their privacy.
6) If I could sing a duet at the Grammys with any artist ever I would choose: Tim McGraw. As a performer he’s just so captivating and so much fun to watch. He has this “swag” about him. And oh, he’s not so bad to look at either. It would be easy for me to sing to him.
After graduating from the University of Florida in 2012, Taylor Norris continued her education at the University of Florida’s Levin College of Law before being admitted to The Florida Bar in 2015. Her new single, “Breaking Up With You,” made its debut on WIRK radio in November 2016, twice earning her the honor of being named the country music station’s “Artist of the Week.” In March 2017, Norris embarked on a radio tour of Asia to support the single, including stops in Tokyo, Beijing and Shanghai. She is also scheduled to attend the Academy of Country Music Awards in Las Vegas to promote the song on radio-row. Deeply devoted to her continued charitable and fundraising efforts for the St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee, Norris splits her time between Nashville and her home in North Palm Beach, where her family and dogs, Biscuit and Bimini, live.
ABOUT THE DRINK:
Frigate’s Moscow Mule
- 2 ounces Tito’s Handmade Vodka
- 4 ounces ginger beer
- 4 lime wedges
Muddle three lime wedges in the bottom of a copper mug. Add fresh ice and the Tito’s vodka. Top off with the ginger beer and garnish with a lime wedge.