16 Things To Know About West Palm Beach Journalist Jana Angel
Regardless of what critics say, the media’s majority is a talented group whose insightful storytelling connects the populace with the world around them. Facilitating this mission is Jana Angel, a former pro volleyball player turned television host and communications aficionado. She’s taking South Florida’s broadcasting industry by bump, set, spike and storm—and she’s just getting started.
Following in her athletic father’s footsteps, Jana made waves of her own as a title-winning, multisport athlete in high school, then as a star volleyball player at NC State University. After graduation, she moved to France and played for a trio of women’s teams. Five years later, she retired her jersey and relocated back to her hometown of Rock Hill, South Carolina, with eyes steadfastly set on a career in broadcasting.
Armed with a double degree in interpersonal communication and international studies, as well as an innate knack for visual storytelling (“I’d interview my teammates on my iPhone and make short promo videos for games”) and the interpersonal skills she’d gleaned from her time on the courts, she landed a marketing job at UNITERS North America in West Palm Beach. As brand and partnership development manager, she wears many hats, including serving as the company’s spokesperson.
In 2018, she launched Jana Angel Media, a one-woman digital communications company. Her services range from e-learning modules to full-length television commercials she packages in her home studio.
In August, her creative endeavors came full circle when the first episode of “Living Local South Florida” aired on WFLX. Co-conceived with her creative director, Liz Plummer, the magazine-style news show spotlights the county’s hippest shopping locales, brightest cultural outposts and the perennially innovative dining scene.
“We think bringing local options to our viewers will help our community grow and be highly self-sustaining, even in the offseason,” says Angel, who also hosts the 30-minute simulcast.
Angel has also embarked on a new adventure. Tapped to host “Trending Today,” a national infomercial airing on weekends, she’ll highlight innovations and interview industry leaders like Julie’s Real founder Julie Fox, which airs this month.
The West Palm Beach resident enjoys morning runs along Flagler Drive, donating her time and resources to animal protection organizations like Big Dog Ranch Rescue, and hanging out with her boyfriend and real estate lawyer, Chris Roemer, and their three rescue dogs, Arthur, Blakely and Sweetie.
1. CURRENT FAVORITE FASHION DESIGNER Being 6-foot-3, it can be challenging finding fashions that fit, so I’m happy I discovered Prissy Duck by fellow athlete Stephanie Foster. She makes beautiful pants and trousers.
2. WORK DUDS I like outfits that can transition, so I might wear high-waisted trousers, a camisole, and a cape or blazer. Kendra Scott’s my jewelry go-to.
3. GASTRO GO-TO Loïc Bakery Café Bar. The food is all French and fresh, and owner Loic Autret is one of my favorite people.
4. SPEED DIAL DISH The Thai-style beef jerky at Kapow! Noodle Bar. I think there’s magic in that sauce.
5. DRINK DU JOUR The “Sweet Heat” at 123 Datura Bar & Kitchen. It has tequila, fresh watermelon and a hint of jalapeño.
6. GADGET MUST-HAVE My Amazon Echo. I love having music on all the time and it’s like having my own personal DJ.
7. WORK FOR FREE Anything with animals, children, veterans and the elderly. I’d offer my time or services to any charity that needed me.
8. BINGE WATCHES “Reef Break.” I have my fingers crossed it gets renewed for a second season.
9. WELL-READ “Bless Your Heart, Tramp: And Other Southern Endearments” by Celia Rivenbark is my absolute favorite. All the women in my family have read it, and we shared the same copy.
10. RECHARGE BUTTON Piling into bed with my dogs and watching “The Golden Girls.” It’s my all-time favorite show.
11. WANTS TO LEARN Italian and computer coding
12. WORTH THE SPLURGE I go to BreeHopp Esthetics in Lake Park at least once a month for a facial or laser treatment. It’s changed my skin.
13. BUCKET LIST To visit Osaka, Santorini and Sydney, and skydive at least once.
14. PALM BEACH PICK Spending time at the beach or treating myself to a “staycation” at a Palm Beach resort, like The Colony Hotel.
15. IN HER HANDBAG The usual staples—wallet and keys—and ginger mints; a water bottle; wasabi almonds; Tory Burch Just Like Heaven extrait de parfum; and at least seven berry-colored lipsticks because I’m always trying to find the perfect shade.
16. LOVES SHOPPING AT Lilly Pulitzer at The Breakers and Brooke and Arrow Boutique in Delray Beach