For an earthy, laid-back and welcoming workspace incorporate these elemental pieces into your office.
1. John Richard Plant; $1,063; Available at Dianne Davant Interiors in Port St. Lucie, davant-interiors.com
2. Christofle Miel d’Argent candle; $60; Available at us.christofle.com
3. THE Container Store 12-section shallow bamboo tray; $14.99; Available at containerstore.com
4. THE CONTAINER STORE Bamboo wastebasket; $24.99; Available at containerstore.com
5. ELAINE SMITH Animal pillow in aqua; $114; Available at Dianne Davant Interiors in Port St. Lucie, davant-interiors.com
6. DASH AND ALBERT Area rug; $754; Available at Dianne Davant Interiors in Port St. Lucie, davant-interiors.com
7. Currey and Company Palm Beach lamp; $650; Available at Dianne Davant Interiors in Port St. Lucie, davant-interiors.com
8. EXCENTRICITIES Kelly blue lapis lacquer desk with gold-leaf details and polished brass hardware; $2,077; Available at Excentricities in North Palm Beach and other store locations, excentricities.com
9. HIVE Leather-bound daily journals; $107; Available at Hive Home, Gift & Garden in West Palm Beach, hivepalmbeach.com
Sleek and Powerful
These modern statement pieces make for a desk to impress.
1. Christofle Lune d’Argent candle; $60; Available at us.christofle.com
2.Christofle Jardin d’Eden clock; $26,240; Available at us.christofle.com
3. THE Container Store Cord catch; $7.99; Available at containerstore.com
4. DAVID YURMAN Maritime knot money clip in sterling silver; $295; David Yurman at The Gardens Mall, davidyurman.com
5. TWO’S COMPANY Alligator magnifier; $55; Available at Dianne Davant Interiors in Port St. Lucie, davant-interiors.com
6. APPLE 27-inch iMac with Retina® 5K display; $2,499; Available at Apple at The Gardens Mall, apple.com
7. MONTBLANC Single gusset briefcase made of Italian full-grain cowhide; $1,175; Available at Montblanc at The Gardens Mall, montblanc.com
8. MONTBLANC StarWalker extreme steel screenwriter; $1,085; Available at Montblanc at The Gardens Mall, montblanc.com
9. Cattelan Italia Qwerty desk in matte white frame with black leather writing pad; $2,230; Available at sklarfurnishings.com
10. RELAX THE BACK Human touch power perfect chair; $2,499; Available at Relax the Back at PGA Commons, relaxtheback.com
11. Sonneman 6425 thick-thin 29-inch desk lamp; $270; Available at Capitol Lighting locations in Palm Beach Gardens and Stuart, 1800lighting.com
Clean and Fresh
A crisp, white-washed office makes for a clear, focused mind.
1. THE Container Store Tablet and eReader stand; $19.99; Available at containerstore.com
2. WOODBRIDGE Desk chair; $767; Available at Dianne Davant Interiors in Port St. Lucie, davant-interiors.com
3. WOODBRIDGE Desk; $2,587; Available at Dianne Davant Interiors in Port St. Lucie, davant-interiors.com
4. Aerin Lauder White shagreen picture frame; $330; Available at Hive Home, Gift & Garden in West Palm Beach, hivepalmbeach.com
5. Aerin Lauder Table lamp in gold gild; $675; Available at Hive Home, Gift & Garden in West Palm Beach, hivepalmbeach.com
6. HIVE Leather bound journal, $107; Gold scissors, $22; Acrylic stapler, $26; Available at Hive Home, Gift & Garden in West Palm Beach, hivepalmbeach.com
7. KATE SPADE Acrylic letter tray; $41.50; Available at Quill and Press Printers & Stationers in Stuart, qandp.com
8. KATE SPADE Acrylic pencil cup; $25.50; Available at Quill and Press Printers & Stationers in Stuart, qandp.com
9. KATE SPADE Acrylic stapler; $30; Available at Quill and Press Printers & Stationers in Stuart, qandp.com
10. KATE SPADE Acrylic tape dispenser; $25.50; Available at Quill and Press Printers & Stationers in Stuart, qandp.com
Dr. Jerome True, a Stuart-based chiropractic neurologist, shares tips for staying healthy at your desk.
Q: Are there any exercises I can do to reduce joint pain while sitting at my desk?
Sitting all day is very detrimental to your overall health. Simply standing up and walking around for a few minutes every hour will reduce back and neck pain as well as improve your cardiovascular health. Research suggests that sitting for eight hours a day without walking around or standing increases your likelihood of adult onset diabetes and stroke.
Q: How often should I get up and walk around or stretch?
At a minimum, one to two times per hour. If possible, walk around for 4 to 5 minutes per hour. You will find it improves your productivity.
Q: Is there a “proper” way to sit at a computer desk?
Your computer screen height should be at eye level and your hands should be in a level position on the keyboard with your elbows bent at 90 degrees. If you are looking down all the time, your muscles on the front side of your neck can be chronically shortened. Reaching for the mouse also creates a problem because it places stress on your shoulder. Laptops have a disadvantage because the screen should be higher and separate from the keyboard. Another thing to check is the monitor refresh rate setting. The refresh rate is the speed that the monitor flickers on and off. This setting may be preset and not adjustable. A refresh rate below 75 Hz causes eye fatigue.
Q: Are there any specific foods or vitamins that can help with relieving joint pain?
There are dozens of foods and vitamins that reduce inflammation associated with joint pain. Antioxidants such as curcumin or extracts of green-lipped mussel have been shown to be very effective. Stay hydrated with pure water and avoid drinks containing high fructose corn syrup. Avoid low-quality high-calorie fast foods whenever possible.
– Interview by Kayla Sylvester
Transforming a Space
Lorraine Rogers-Bolton, of Rogers Design Group, dishes on how she keeps her office clean and peaceful.
On the power of organization: Organization gives most of us a sense of peace and allows the maximum concentration and creativity. Having recently moved into a new home, I have been able to put all of this into practice.
On the benefits of Feng Shui: I studied Feng Shui as continuing education for our licensing several times over the years. It is a fascinating study of placement and balance. Many believe that it can also give us peace and harmony.
The key to an efficient office or desk space: Lots of storage to get all supplies out of sight; to keep a neat, uncluttered workspace.
On creating storage space: I love shallow drawers so I can see what I’m looking for quickly. I am also a labeler. It is the answer to my personal peace.
The best way to declutter: Besides my laptop, [all I have on my desk] is my favorite photo of my family and a great sculpture. All else is hidden away. Scan to minimize paper clutter. Toss papers as soon as possible. Create a “to be reviewed drawer” that daily items can hide in until you have the time to “review.”